Thursday, June 12, 2008

time for some changes

For those who have been to my parents house this is a typical picture of their pool. It's been in the family for 24 years and we've had plenty of fun in it. The spa has had it's fair share of dish soap bubbles, friends, and grand kids over the years. Here are a few "before" shots...


Times a changin' and it's time for a pool face lift!!!
Brad wanted nothing more than to get this thing empty so he could skate it.
Nathan doing his part :) Check out how steep those stairs are - they sure don't seem like they are that steep when they are covered with water.
Nathan "accidentally" fell in. The water looks sick but it's really ok water - it was clean until they started this project and dirt and rocks from the sides fell in.

Brad emptying the spa.
No naked carrots in this spa! Whoa - blast from the past Riley/Harris spa humor!
Airboard drop in.

Still wishing the pool was empty and in skateable condition...
Dad demonstrating his swimming technique!

I told Mom and Dad that they should use this picture as their Christmas card picture this year. I doubt they will go for it. ;)
This pool is ENORMOUS!

Cheap labor. Mom made really nice little piles for the workers - I'm sure they appreciated it! Dad couldn't understand why mom wanted to sweep the pool out. She said it was "fun!" Hey Mom why don't you come over and have some "fun" at my house?

This is Nathan doing what we like to call "The Matt". I was trying to take a picture of Brad and at the last second Nathan jumped up in front of the camera to steal the scene aka "The Matt".
I'm pretty sure Mom has never been this deep in the pool (especially with a broom).
Almost completely empty! Of course it was way to late in the night to actually skate it. So sorry Brad... Brad was in charge of the pump and making sure it was working properly. My Mom was having flashbacks to the days right after my heart surgery, when Brad would make sure that my chest tube and all of the other tubes coming out of me were working properly. Fun times!


More pictures as the ShopKo* continues... (mom will get that now)

*ShopKo - A long time ago my Dad and I were at my Grandma Riley's house in Bountiful, Utah. We were standing in the kitchen going through the newspaper and no doubt eating chips and licorice and there was a Grand Opening spread for ShopKo. Dad looked at it and said "Whoa! Progress!" Grandma looked up at him and said "No, I think it's called ShopKo." Dad and I just looked at each other and then Dad said "oh yeah, you're right." HA! Gotta love G-ma Riley.



5 comments:

Matt said...

wow...the naked carrot...for some reason I remember we used to say "I'm the naked carrot" or "I'm the naked celery" but for the life of me I can't remember WHY or what the significance was. That is hilarious. And congrats to Nathan for inheriting such wonderful photogenic genes somehow from me.

stephanie said...

i totally forgot about the naked carrot. ha ha. i vaguely remember the night at the harris' spa when that was first said. so funny. i'm grateful for your elephant like memory.

fun post & pictures. :)

julie said...

when i told craig that mom & dad emptied the pool for demolition, the first thing out of craig's mouth was not "oh cool, they are redoing the backyard, but it was: "how long is it going to be empty? i want to skate it". =)

and yes, that would be so funny, i totally agree that they should use that pic as their christmas card - awesomeness.

so many memories!

Ann said...

Pretty amazing pictures. And to think you did all of it yourselves...:)

Alicia said...

I can't wait to see the face lift, cute pics:)